English conversation

• Offizieller Beitrag

As befami has suggested I'm opening a thread for all who want to communicate in English. I hope there are many interested people. By the way, do you need English often in your job? At our public library there are sometimes Americans who don't understand a single German word. Unfortunately, they always come when we are about to close or when there are long queues in front of the counter(Theke?).

«Bibliotheken in Krisenzeiten zu schliessen, ist wie Krankenhäuser während der Pest zu schliessen.»

(aus spanischen Protestbriefen gegen die Einsparungen im Kulturbereich)

"Viele kleine Leute an vielen kleinen Orten, die viele kleine Dinge tun,
    werden das Antlitz dieser Welt verändern"
    (Sprichwort der Xhosa)

• Hello!

No, here at the library in Duisburg-Rheinhausen, i don`t have to communicate with customers in english.
    In my free-time, I read english written books, for example the good old King-James-Bible, and sometimes I watch english documentations on Youtube.
    I`ve also have contact via e-mail to people in the USA.

So, thats my relationship with the english language.

Best regards

thomas

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well...in our library they aren't so much costumers who are not german speaker.
    But we have foreign language speaker, I signed in such people already, then they are most of the time english speaker. Really rare we've got french native speaker...this is diffcult for me because I don't always find the word for what I wanna to say and they are a litte bit inpatience.
    I' d like to speak in English, but I've got the same problem like you Susi - except the English lesson in the school, nobody practise with me English... Thank god I keep my knowledge of it more and longer than the knowlegde of the french langugage :(

(I bet with you my text has terrible mistake who I don't see myself... I've just controlled it a few times...I am always so ashamed if I make mistakes...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ befami: Are you angry with me if I try to correct the mistakes I've found? It aren't very much. Sometimes you forgot the plural-s. Then I think in the first sentence the "they" schould be a "there", the french readers are "inpatient", patience is the noun, and in the last paragraph the "who" must be a "which" because mistakes aren't persons.
    There is no need at all to be ashamed of mistakes. I bet I make a lot of them myself although I love this language very much and I've learned it for 11 years. I also learned French for two years. But I'm rather bad at it. Especially in the pronounciation. But I'm not capitulating.
    I was quite bad in English at the trade school (Berufsschule?) because I hate the teacher. But at the BOS I was very lucky and had the best teacher of the world. He really showed us how exciting a foreign language can be.

«Bibliotheken in Krisenzeiten zu schliessen, ist wie Krankenhäuser während der Pest zu schliessen.»

(Sprichwort der Xhosa)

• I sometimes read English books, too. My first book I have read in the original language was "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C. S. Lewis, which of course was followed by the other Narnia books. These are good books to start English reading, because the writing is very simple to understand (they were written as children´s books)
    Other books that I´ve read:
    -Matilda
    -Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    -The Hobbit
    -Lord of the rings (but I stopped it because the language was too hard to understand)
    -Harry Potter
    -the first 3 Artemis Fowl books
    -Fire Bringer

And at the moment I´m reading Fell in English....

Das Denken ist allen Menschen erlaubt, aber vielen bleibt es erspart...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read in English:
    also Harry Potter, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Lord of the Rings
    the books about Bella and Edward and "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer
    "Man in the Dark" by Paul Auster
    "Are you experienced" by William Sutcliffe
    and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon.

At the moment I try to read "Dreams of my Father" by Barrack Obama. But the writing is quite difficult to understand. And it takes me a much longer time to read an english book than a german book.

(Sprichwort der Xhosa)

• You are right!
    At some parts, Fell is also difficult to read (but not as hard as LotR) In these situations, I am glad to have a dictionary at my side...:D
    but it is interesting to read this story in the perspectives of wolves and people.
    I also try to improve my English, because I have no opportunity to use my conversation skills...
    In 2006, I´ve been on holiday in the United States for 2 weeks, so I had to speak English every day!
    PS: Befami, did you draw this dragon yourself? It´s so cute...

Das Denken ist allen Menschen erlaubt, aber vielen bleibt es erspart...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Woah. This here is a very good idea... o.o
    I'm not really good in English... I had always problems to speak this language. On the paper, it's easier for me to communicate. (or in the internet..)
    My written English is not perfect, I know... But you can understand me, right?
    I don't know why I have such problems to speak it... It's a blockade in my brain, I think. I have no problem to speak it at all. It would me make fun to speak another language. But I'm not able to do it. And I don't know why. Whatever~

At my job there are sometimes users, who are not able to speak German well. Often they are asking me something in English and I try to answer in English. And they noticed that I don't speak English well. It's funny to hear the sentence: "You can tell me in German, too." And then I tell in Denglisch. XD

Hmm... Sometimes I read English books, too.
    I think, my first book, I read in English, was the book "The Wave" by Morton Rhue in school. And then, in school, too, I read the book "Two old women" by Velma Wallis. But it was hardly for me to understand this English and I bought the book in German. XD
    Other books, which I read in English:

• "Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone"
    • "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
    • "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"

Hmm... I think, it's all... for this moment.
    In a few weeks, I want to read the Twilight-Saga in English.^^
    I want to practise my English. That's why I will read more books in English.

Aww I forgot to say that I've watched a few episodes of the Anime "Naruto" in Japanese with English subtitle.^^

oO I hope you will understand this posting..
    It was not easy to write it and it takes me much longer, to write as usual. ^^°

Lovely Greets
    Bella ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks Susi, no problem, just correct me, I am really thankful for it...
    it's the same like in German, I don't see my own mistakes...in the text.
    Well, I read Jane Eyre in a - comment vous dites? - easier version than the orginal.
    ( Because I have to speak here the most of the time French, I think in French already...
    and I try to read my one of my favorite movies " In my fathers den"
    If I have time for reading and I don't forget to read it ... (too much books in my room...and too lazy to read them all piece to piece...)

• Aww, I think this is such a good idea! English is one of my favorite languages and it's really nice to be able speak or write it again. :)
    I hope I'll be able to use my English skills at the library as well.. Do you have many foreign visitors or are they very rare?

I read a lot of English books, mostly because I don't like the translated German versions at all. I think, some things just sound so much better in English than in German. The last books I read were "Change of heart" by Jodi Picoult, "The book thief" by Markus Zusak, "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathan Safran Foer and right now I'm about to read "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini :)

@susi: I hope it's okay if I correct you as well? Or at least the things you told befami? Because there are some words you didn't correct right.. It's not "inpatient", but "impatient". And you usually don't say "it aren't very much", but "there aren't very much" ;)
    It's nothing bad, I just don't want befami to learn the words wrong.. So I hope you're not angry ;)
    I'm a bit of an English freak :P

• Hy everyone!
    I realy like the english language and so I try to use it very often. In our University Library are lots of english spaeking students, even last week I had a egyptian user which wants to register. It wasn´t that easy, and the most difficult was the "aktuelle Meldebescheinigung". But it was great when she understood^^.

Sometimes I read english books or watch films to improve my english. I also write per Mail e.g. to english people or call them.
    Sometimes, when it´s very boring in the library I read the Times or other english texts....

I´ve been in the UK for two times: With school in the 9th class (we was 1 week just in London, it was amazing! So much nice people! And the waether was great :cool: )
    And for a few days with my parents.
    Last summer I was in Sweden and Norway and so I could talk english too^^

I hope you understood all the things I wrote, my spoken english is even better than my written. :rolleyes:
    Have a nice day!
    ama

"Richtiges Auffassen einer Sache und Mißverstehn der gleichen Sache schließen einander nicht vollständig aus." Kant

• Hey dears,

what a great idea to open an English thread. I think, my English is very well. I have to use it every day. I am working at a library of the Max-Planck-Society and many of our scientists are strangers. So, of course, I have to communicate in English and without very good skills in English you can't work there. Sometimes, when we've got some events at the institute, where I have to speak, hear and understand English all day long, at the end of the day I think and dream in English :verwirrt: Isn't that crazy?

But also many of my friends are strangers, too. Mostly they have their roots in the USA, because their parents (or one part of them) is from there and was in Germany to do their military service in one of the many barracks here in Mannheim. But a few of my friends are from England. And I love to hear them speaking. British English, especially the Cockney Slang, is one of the most interesting languages, that I've ever heared. We often visit some friends in England, that speak this slang. But also other slangs are very interesting, for example that from Liverpool or Newcastle. Now, I am very excited on my trip to Bristol in 2 weeks. I'm not only loving the language, also the country, the people, the culture and, of course, the beer and the food. :D

Reading in English is not my disposition, but sometimes I do it anyway. But who knows? Maybe, it is possible that I develop in a way, where I prefer reading English books?

Es gibt viele schreckliche Anblicke im Multiversum. Doch für eine Seele, die an den subtilen Rhythmus einer Bibliothek gewöhnt ist, existiert kein schrecklicherer Anblick als ein Loch dort, wo sich eigentlich ein Buch befinden sollte.

• @ susannchen:
    You work at the Max-Planck-Institute? In Leipzig? Maybe in the Institute for mathematic in science? I think we saw each other already^^
    give my regards to Diana^^

"Richtiges Auffassen einer Sache und Mißverstehn der gleichen Sache schließen einander nicht vollständig aus." Kant

• well, in Paderborn we've got english soldiers, so they or their family sometimes come into the library.

"Von seinen Eltern lernt man lieben, lachen und laufen. Doch erst wenn man mit Büchern in Berührung kommt, entdeckt man, dass man Flügel hat." Helen Hayes

• @ amalia: Yeah, I was there for 2 years as the trainee of the library, but after finishing my apprenticeship last year I left Leipzig and the Institute and went to Heidelberg to the MPI for Comparative Public Law and International Law. I know Diana but I saw her the last time this spring when I visit the institute in Leipzig and my previous colleagues. But since this time I had no contact to them, sorry.

You are from the UB, right? Do you already know Jonas and Christine? Have they finished their apprenticeship this year? I was in the class of them both but in the 2. year of training I change to the 3. year and shorten my apprenticeship. But if you see them, please send them my best regards and wishes for their future.

Es gibt viele schreckliche Anblicke im Multiversum. Doch für eine Seele, die an den subtilen Rhythmus einer Bibliothek gewöhnt ist, existiert kein schrecklicherer Anblick als ein Loch dort, wo sich eigentlich ein Buch befinden sollte.

• Well, I´m from the UB, but in Chemnitz, not in Leipzig. Sorry, I dont know both. But I´ll see Diana in about one week.

We visited the MPI MIS last year, it was very comfortable constructed. But I thought: Just books about maths? How boring! It is funny but your special law library sounds lots more exciting. But the guidance was also great, in my opinion the best part was when they showd us the usage of the "fommemorymetals"(:-))
    I think they are a great example for what research and developement can reach.

• Yeah, thats really interesting and by now the institute is very famous because of this. That and all the other things in mathematics make me prefering the natural sciences. The judicial books here are mostly very boring while some books about the human rights and human rights abuse are very good. But law isn't my favourite science.

You are in Chemnitz? Oh, because of your avatar I think you also where in Leipzig like you think that I am in Leipzig. What a misunderstanding. :alleswirdgut:

• Yeah, I think this is a great example for missunderstanding while not reading the profiles of each other^^.
    But lets talk about something different.

Half an houre ago it started to rain here, and not it seems that the world will collapse^^

• Hihi, that seems to be the weather from this morning here in Mannheim/Heidelberg. From 6 am to 9 am we've got a big thunderstorm here, but afterwards it was wonderful coolish. Now it is better, no rain but also not very much sun and temperatures on which you can work normal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@sternenmädchen: Of course, it's okay if you correct me as well. I've never said my English is perfect. ;) I think I only typed the word "impatient" wrong because actually I know the word. I also have problems to speak in English sometimes. It's easyier to write it because you have more time to build the sentences and to reread your text. And I've never learned to pronounce the "th" correctly. :D
    At our library there are frequently foreign readers. I think that's because of the DAI, which is the "Deutsch-Amerikanische Institut". This institution doesn't really exist any more, but there are still many american books in our library. Lately we started also a conversation group and an english reading group, where native speakers and learners can discuss english and american literatur.

(Sprichwort der Xhosa)